Wednesday 4 May 2011

FX test - Muzzle flash

You know what they say about variety being the spice of life, so I've decided to take a break from modeling today to do some effects R&D.

If you've already seen the first test animation I posted, you'll notice that I have already implemented some form of muzzle flash on the blaster. What I wanted to achieve was a gaseous look, where the dense, superheated gas ejected from the muzzle (the flash) would expand and evaporate immediately. Lacking a easy fluid solution since Lightwave3D doesn't have one ( yet! ), I used a 3D muzzle flash mesh and Hypervoxels.

You can see the development of the effect in the video below.


Warning! Sound effects have been added near the end of the video.

There are still room from improvements such as fixing the geometric spiky look of the flash object, and improve the blending between the flash and the particles.The sound effects also sound kinda cheesy so I'm not sure at the moment.

Other than that, for a few hours of work, I'm pretty happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment